Sunday, September 27, 2009

What about this place makes it look like a bar?

I assume that if you are coming to the zoo, you want to spend time with your family. Frequently, that does not seem to be the case. It's more like people bring their children to the zoo so they can yell at them in a different environment. I also have had parents who have been in the zoo for about, I don't know, 10 seconds and want to know where they can get a beer at 11 AM. Please keep your alcoholic tendencies at home and far away from my store. Of course they never do.

Here's a story going back a few years now. It was a slowish day but there were lots of us at work so maybe we were doing inventory or something. I don't really remember the details. I do remember someone saying "Do you smell that? It smells like beer." And it was. Someone had spilled an entire glass of beer in the front of the store and did not bother to tell any of us. We put up a wet floor sign and call janitorial since we apparently are not allowed to have a mop. Now, the store is not properly ventilated so it reeked of beer smell. With no air freshener in sight, we decide to open a package of incense that we sell. In case you were wondering what could possibly smell worse than beer at this moment, the answer is beer and lavender. Anyway, janitorial comes about two hours later and asks me where the puddle is that needed to be cleaned up. I point and say, "See that wet floor sign. It used to be there." Just another happy day at the zoo.

Here's one from last week. So I did not feel well all week, but went to work anyway since I was only scheduled for one day. I was the one in charge for the day. It looked like it was going to rain which made me happy because seriously who comes to the zoo when it looks like it's going to rain. A lot of idiots and douchebags. So I'm walking around, straightening up, minding my own business, when a see a puddle over by the toys. I get closer and I can smell it: beer. I try to clean it up as best as I can causing myself to smell of beer. I spray the poor excuse for carpet with glass cleaner hoping it will over power the smell. But nothing over powers the smell of beer. I'm livid at this point. Why, oh why would they allow beer into the exhibit? So after stalking a few customers who are holding beer, I decide I should go talk to security who scans the tickets as people enter the exhibit. After all, according to the zoo's liquor license, beer must be consumed in the area it is purchased hence the BEER MUST STAY HERE signs. The security kid tries to tell me that sometimes people sneak past them but I don't buy it and I'm pretty sure I guilted him into cracking down on people with beer. What can I say? I was trained by the best guilters: my mother and the Catholic Church. I'm still pretty pissed especially when it starts raining and everyone flocks to our store. Then I turn the corner to see that someone has spilled a blue icee. Really, people? How do you function on an everyday basis without me to clean up your messes? I hate you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment